As the electric grid is becoming less reliable every day and extreme weather conditions are increasingly more common, many home and business owners are looking for ways to have reliable backup power. At Premo Solar, we install premium residential and commercial solar panels and battery backup systems that can help you take control of your power. But exactly how many solar batteries are needed to power a house or business?
Let’s dive into the details and find out!
Benefits of Solar Battery Backup
Solar batteries store the excess electricity that your solar panels generate during the day so you can use it when you need it, like when the sun isn’t shining. This comes with several benefits, including:
- Energy independence – Solar panels are great on their own, but adding a battery backup system further reduces your reliance on the grid and protects you from ever-rising electricity rates.
- Blackout protection – Avoid losing power during an outage or PSPS and keep the lights on when you need them most with a solar battery backup system.
- Utility bill savings – You won’t have to worry about high electricity bills at night when your panels can’t produce power because battery backup systems allow you to use stored energy at any time. Time-of-use rates are at their highest in the evenings, and switching to stored energy during these times can save you money.
- Available for incentives – Solar batteries are eligible for incentives that can help make installation more affordable. For example, home and business owners can save 30% of the total cost of installing a solar battery with the federal solar tax credit.
How Many Solar Batteries Do You Need?
It’s completely possible to power an entire home or building with solar panels plus battery storage. However, there are several factors to consider when you want to figure out how many batteries are needed to power a house or business.
At Premo Solar, our process for calculating how many batteries you’ll need is similar to the one we use when determining the right amount of panels. Unfortunately, there’s no real rule of thumb to go by with solar batteries because every home and building is different. However, here is what our team of solar experts will look at:
- Energy usage – One of the most important things to take into account is how much energy your home or business uses. This will equip our team to make recommendations on which size battery, and how many, will meet your needs.
- Solar panel generation – Solar batteries can only store as much electricity as your panels generate. If you want to run your entire home or business on solar energy, you’ll need to make sure that your panels have the capacity to produce as much as you’ll need.
- Storage capacity – Not all solar batteries will hold the same amount of electricity. For example, Tesla Powerwall batteries can store 13.5kWh, but the average California household uses 20kWh per day. This means two batteries would be needed for full backup.
Premo Solar: Your Local Solar Storage Experts
We believe that solar batteries are worth the cost and can help you maximize your savings with solar energy and get the most out of your panels. We only install the leading brands in the industry, like Tesla Powerwall and Enphase. Whether you’re looking to add battery storage to your current solar system or want to install solar panels and battery backup all at once, our team is here to help. Premo Solar has been in the solar industry for many years and our team will handle everything for you, from permitting and applications to the final inspection.